Travis Morgan (Owner of Blackwood Drum Co.)

So who are you?
     My name is Travis and I make handmade stave drums for Blackwood Drum Co., a company I started two years ago.  

How long have you been building drums?
     I only started building drums about three years ago. I started drumming and playing in bands about 12 years ago, and then I started getting into woodworking, and kind of just building some small things like cutting boards and tables. Eventually, I decided to start exploring how to build drums and it just made sense to me. 


What’s your relationship with technology as the owner of a small company that builds drums? 
     In my personal life, I've never really been a fan of using social media, but when I became a business owner it became really important for me to keep up a social media presence. I was honestly a little surprised how much business and interest I was able to generate from Instagram alone, it's probably been one of my main sources of business. It's also really allowed me to network in ways I didn't think were possible. If it wasn't for social media I don't think I'd be building drums for some of the amazing drummers that I now get to work with. Seriously social media is a huge part of what has made this possible.

What are some of the positive and negative things that have come along with owning a small company? 
     Honestly besides the fact that I'm the one who has to keep up with all the social media stuff there aren't really any negatives. I don't think it would be possible. Actually, let me rephrase that. I don't think it would have been as accessible for me to start this venture without social media. It really allowed me to start a grass-roots business and allowed me to generate the type of interest needed to grow as quickly as we have. 

Anything you’d like to change or see happen with technology and music/small business?
     That's pretty hard to say right now. We're at a level where social media is a major tool and has really helped in expanding our business. There's a lot of cheesy stuff I don't like doing when it comes to social media and what not and there really isn't a lot of technological advancements that aren't social media related that I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there will be something that'll happen sooner or later that will change the game. 


And finally any plugs you'd like to make? 
     Sure. Anyone who reads this should follow us on Instagram @blackwooddrums and follow our page on Facebook. We're also going to be providing the drums that will be used for two festivals this summer, Sound and Fury in L.A., and This is Hardcore in Philadelphia. Come say "hi" to us at either. 

Comments

Popular Posts