Shane Gillis (Stand-up Comedian)


















So who are you and what do you do?

My name is Shane Michael Sebastion Gillis, and I am a stand-up comedian.

How long have you been doing comedy for? 

I've been doing comedy for about seven years. However, only recently did I take it seriously. So I moved to Philly like three years ago, and that's probably about when it started to become serious.

So what is your relationship with technology as a comedian? 

Well as you can tell I'm very technologically inclined as I'm listening to Spotify, playing Fifa on a PlayStation 4, and recording my voice into an iPhone simultaneously. But uh, with comedy it's a lot more important than I expected. A lot of comics are lame and post all their stuff like if you get booked you brag about it on social media, shit like that. I don't like it. Self-promotion on social media to me is the antithesis of comedy. To do stand-up you're supposed to self-deprecating and honest, and if you're out here posting like "Oh wow great show thanks for everyone coming out". When you saw my show last night. That show sucked. There was like five fucking people. If I was a psycho I'd get on Facebook and be like "Wow incredible show. Thank you so much", just so other comics and other people would see it a be like "Wow he's doing great" It's fake.

You do us social media though right? Instagram, Facebook, Twitter? 

I do, I do. In fact, if you're reading this follow me @shanemgillis, M as in Michael. I mean yeah you have to use it, but I try to save my tweets and social media for actually important things.

Is there anything you'd like to change or see happen with technology and comedy in the future? 

I don't know. I'd like to see comics be less lame on the internet.

Do you have any plugs you want to make? 

Well if you didn't like my interview, you probably won't like anything else I have, but you can listen to my podcast "Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast" on Itunes or "I" whatever. See how technological I am? I don't know anything. 



Comments

Popular Posts